Isolation Transformers are used in order to achieve many purposes and most important of them is the safety of the transformers, equipment they are feeding and of course safety of human involved. As you are aware that transformer is electrical device that has been used to convert or transform the current or AC voltage from one level to another level on principle of electromagnetic induction. In most cases transformers are used to bring high voltage to low voltage and known as step down transformer. Isolation transformers are having separate primary and secondary windings due to many reasons.
if we talk about normal electrical transformers, you can understand that there is no isolation between the primary winding and the secondary winding and if there is any serious fault the high voltage may be transferred to low voltage side hence damaging the connected plant, machinery or appliances. So in normal electrical transformer protection of the end user equipment is dependent on the supply devices. The primary and secondary winding share a common end which leads in case of failure of the winding insulation full input voltage applied to the output. Due to above scenarios telling the limitations of normal power transformers, Isolation transformer comes in the consideration.
What is Isolation Transformer?
Isolation transformers are types of transformers having primary (input) and secondary (output) windings separated from each other so in case of fault in one winding it will not be transferred to next stage. In isolation transformer the input power and the output power are electrically separated by an dielectric insulation barrier. There are many advantages of an Isolation Transformer that include Safety, Reduced Surges, Noise Reduction and Better Power Quality.
Isolation transformers block transmission of the DC component in signals from one circuit to the other, but allow AC components in signals to pass. Transformers that have a ratio of 1 to 1 between the primary and secondary windings are often used to protect secondary circuits and individuals from electrical shocks between energized conductors and earth ground.
Advantages of Isolation Transformers
- Safety: Used to protect Medical Equipment, Human to electric Shock, costly home appliances and Increase Quality of current.
- Reduction in power surges is another advantage of isolation transformer. Therefore electrical equipment can run smoothly without the risk of power su
rges. Also DC signals from a power source are isolated.
- Noise Reduction: Isolation Transformer are specially designed for operating with reduced noise from power lines by separate Faraday shields.These shields help to block electric fields from interrupting the power flow, for this reason less electromagnetic noise involved with output current.
- Better Power Quality: The Faraday shields help with efficiency because they reduce the potential for current leakage in isolation transformer. As a result your important electrical devices can function at an highly optimized level.
- Isolation transformer makes working easy for electricians and users, they can work easily in between heavy electrical appliances without taking any risk and save from danger of electric shock.